Tuesday 13 March 2012

Interview with Eileen

Remember the post about my mother, Eileen Cox? Well, about ten days into my Guyana visit someone came around from the Guyana Times to interview her on her retirement as President of the Consumers Association. It was an interview for the newspaper as well as for TV; that is, a TV cameraman filmed it. And so did I. The print version can be found here. And here is my own (shortened) version of the video interview. In the course of the interview it came out that I was a published writer, so immediately afterwards they interviewed me, as well; that interview was also published in the Guyana Times, here. And one evening they showed the TV interview. I didn't see it. But a couple days later I was riding through GT on my bicycle (yes, I bought a bike!) and someone on the street called out: "Hello writer!" And following that several random people, most of them strangers to me, told me they had seen it. Rather surreal; to think how as a European writer it's so difficult to get exposure; how every other writer seems to be self-promoting the life out of their books, and I, being by nature a non-self-promoter, tend to get left behind; and here, in my home country, it all falls into my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment