Thursday 8 March 2012

Wednesday: the Beach at Bim

On the train from Clapham Junction to Gatwick airport a sudden shock: my backpack is open at the top. My purse is missing.
The purse contains the entirety of my travel money. A few hundred dollars.
I empty out the entire backpack.
The purse is not there.

.........................................

Eueka moment: I remember I'm wearing a bum bag.
The purse, including money, is in the bag, safely strapped around my waist.

................................................

Uneventful flight on Virgin Atlantic.
Watched The Descendants. Then the tail end of Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy (I've seen the whole thing in the cinema, but I love the ending).
Then Mildred Pierce.
Long queue at Grantley Adams International Airport.
No Left Luggage department. Have to take suitcase in taxi.
Got a taxi to the Golden Sands Hotel.
Spoke to Michele Johnson, the proprietor, a friend of Cousin Rod. She says I can leave suitcase in office, and use changing rooms.
........................
The little yellow house is still standing, but it's green now. The beach is empty. The water is cold. A short swim, a lie in the sun, then back to the airport.
Bim is nice, but I'm hungry for home.




.................................

Nobody to receive me at Cheddi Jagan International Airport. I take a seat to wait.
Approached by a man: am I Miss Cox's daughter?
Yes.
He thought so; I look like her.
Leads me to the car.
Mum is there, leaning on a Zimmer frame. She is so frail, so tiny.
It is night. The ride to Georgetown, an hour long, so familiar.
The names of the villages: New Hope, Land of Canaan, Garden of Eden, Agricola, Houston, Eccles.

That old familiar bend in the road at Diamond Estate!

 The sweet-sickly smell of the sugar factory!

 I know I'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment